Download the 2012 Entry Form
Download the 2012 Tournament Rules (.doc)
Mathews Rotary 6th Annual Rockfish Tourney
- Deadline for entries is Friday, December 7, 2012 at 8pm, every captain or his designee must register at The Piankatank Ruritan Club on Rte 198 between 4pm and 8pm. Tournament registration materials, including fish tags for every boat must be picked up at tournament headquarters. THERE WILL BE NO REGISTRATION AFTER 8pm FRIDAY, December 8, 2011. If you do not have your boat number and fish tags on the boat during the day of tournament, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO ENTER FISH IN THE TOURNAMENT.
- Cash Prizes (based on 30 entries), if less prize money will be prorated accordingly) Regular category 1st = $ 3,000, 2nd = $1,000, 3rd = $700, 1 Youth (15yrs & younger) = $100, 1 Woman = $100, Senior = $100 (65 or older). A message will be left on 804 725-8371 on the actual prize money breakdown from 6 am to noon the day of the tournament.
- The Entry fee shall be $150 per boat for 4 anglers, $25 per additional angler. Entry forms can be mailed (Rotary, Box 282, Mathews, VA, 23109) or presented, along with entry form at the Registration & Raffle Friday, December 7th , 2012
- All entry forms must be signed by the vessel captain, or a designated responsible person, who is at least 18 years of age, and this person must be aboard the vessel on Tournament day. All participants must adhere to these Tournament rules and regulations as well as those of the Virginia Salt Water Fishing Tournament and the salt water fishing regulations as determined by the Virginia Marine Resources Commission.
- Eligible participants include Rotary members, volunteers, advertisers, and sponsors. The Tournament Chairman (as listed in the program) is ineligible to compete.
- This is a Captains Choice Tournament; it is the captain’s responsibility to decide to fish. The ONLY weather condition that would postpone the tournament if GAIL FORCE WINDS are posted by NOOA at 6am the day of the tournament, if in question call 804 725-8371.
- NO LINES IN THE WATER PRIOR TO SUNRISE ON THE DAY OF THE TOURNAMENT
- All fish must be caught in a sportsmanlike manner on hook and line. Fish must be hooked and played by a single angler who does not receive assistance from anyone. Hand lining between the terminal end snap/snap swivel and the fish for the purpose of netting is permissible. Gaffing rockfish is illegal in Virginia, and therefore is prohibited. Any fish showing fresh marks other than those made by landing nets or hooks may be disqualified. Failure to maintain a contestant’s fish in ice and in good condition may result in disqualification. Angler presenting a fish to be weighted will be required to attest to the above at weigh in.
- WEIGH-IN PROCEDURE: The Tournament Committee will monitor VHF channels 69. Please use other channels to communicate between fishermen.
a. If weighing in by boat, you must be in Milford Haven, in sight of weigh master and acknowledged with boat # on VHF channel 69 that he has a fish to weigh, before 4pm. Then proceed in an orderly safe manner to Morningstar Marina. Please use the outside of the L dock for unloading, do not tie up longer than needed.
b. If by land, angler with tagged fish to be weighed must be in line by 4pm at the water-side weigh station, if you’re in route at 3:45 with a fish to weigh, call 804 725-8371 or the Marina at 725-9343 and we’ll wait.
- Only one (1) rockfish per boat will be weighed for Cash Prizes except that additional fish may be weighed if in competition for the following categories: Women, Youth, or Senior divisions. Each boat is eligible to win only one (1) Cash prize (Cash prizes 1-3). However, other weighed fish from that boat may be eligible for special category prizes. A fish placing in the Regular category cannot win the categories of Youth, Ladies, or Senior. All fish submitted for weighing must be tagged with the appropriate tag PRIOR to surrendering the fish at the weigh station. All tags are marked with boat #. Other categories will be marked on tag Y-youth, S-senior, L-lady.
- The Weigh master may have a marine biologist on hand for assistance to confirming that the fish being weighed have been freshly caught the day of the tournament.
- Winning fish will be determined first by weight, (digital scale) then by length (nose to furthest tip of tail along a straight line with fish laying on an agreed upon measuring device), in that order. ALL PRIZES WILL BE PAID TO THE RESPONSIBLE INDIVIDUAL WHO SIGNED THE ENTRY FORM, regardless of which participant actually caught the fish. To avoid misunderstandings, the Tournament Committee urges all parties to develop their own arrangement for the distribution of prizes among captain and crew. The Rotary Tournament Committee is obligated to award prizes to the responsible individual who signed the Tournament entry form.
- All boats should be equipped with a functioning VHF radio. To reach Tournament headquarters, use VHF 69, or call 725-8371, or 725-9343. DO NOT USE VHF 69 FOR ANY OTHER COMMUNICATION.
- The Tournament Committee reserves the right to inspect any and all boats entered in the Tournament.
- The official weigh master will be VIMS Marine Biologists, Lauren Nys , assisted by Robert Minor & David Fitch, the only weigh station will be at Morningstar Marina/Gwynn’s Island on Milford Haven where all fish must be weighed after they are delivered by boat, or by land. Weigh station hours are from 2 pm until 4 pm the day of the tournament.
- Any protest concerning a violation of the rules must be made at weigh in.
- Tournament fishing is limited to the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries, but not beyond the MY/VA state line or 200 yards east of the CBBT.
- FISH CONSERVATION IS ENCOURAGED! Please “limit your catch” on tournament day. All boats should have a functional safe de-hooking device and an accurate hand scale on board.
- Violation of any of the above rules will constitute grounds for disqualification.
TOURNAMENT RULES COMMITTEE DECISIONS SHALL BE FINAL.
For more information, call Tournament Director
David Fitch (804) 725-8371